Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Inukshuks

I have been thinking about inukshuks lately. I don't know why. So I set out on a little walk in some local woods to see if I could build one. How hard would it be with the predominant type of rock around here, rounded river rock? Well, to make one only took me twenty minutes or so, but as you can see, it's not very big, pleasing to the eye, nor was it stable. But it was fun. I will be on the lookout for better materials on my walks, I'd like to have one in my garden this year.


If you don't know what an inukshuk is, here's the rundown, straight from wikipedia:

Inukshak, also spelled inuksuk, is a man-made stone landmark or cairn, the inukshuk may have been used for navigation, as a point of reference, a marker for hunting grounds, or as a food cache. Often times when presented in human shape, inukshuks point the way along a trail, to a good caribou hunting or fishing area, or a place to cross a river.

Inukshuks are depicted on the Nunavut flag (a province of Canada), on the 2010 Vancouver Olympic games logo and the 1996 Rush album Test for Echo.


Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: