Monday, January 4, 2010

Gear Sundays


This is the first installment of what I am planning to be a pretty regular series on Sundays (and yes, today is Monday, yesterday was a day of unpacking and lazing around).

Today's topic is the business end of my hunting arrows. A sharp broadhead is of paramount importance in a successful harvest, a quick, humane death and ultimately, the best table fare possible. Currently my arrows are tipped with a set of Stos 160 grain broadheads I ordered straight from the manufacturer without any bevel. That's right, completely unsharpened. I Built a little jig to create a left wing bevel; a single edge broadhead has been shown in recent studies to provide a larger hole as well as provide a deeper penetration, especially when used on larger, thicker skinned, heavy boned animals such as my main target, elk. To this end I will be using a really nice jig to enable me to create absolutely scary sharp edges. The KME broadhead sharpening system is the absolute pinnacle of broadhead sharpening technology and I have been very pleased with the results. It allows me to precisely create a flat, consistent edge. The system, combined with a Cabela's 325 diamond stone and a set of 800, 1200 and 6000 grit Japanese waterstones, I should be able to have razor sharp, mirror finish type edges on my broadheads.


So in summary, my plan right now is to maximize any available advantage by using a heavy, single bevel broadhead that is as sharp as I can get it.

Next week's backcountry bowhunting gear article will be about my arrows, and from there I will be discussing the bow, quiver, and the necessary archery and backpacking accouterments I plan on using this fall.

No comments: