Sunday, January 10, 2010

Arrows


Next up in the gear Sundays column is the arrows. I currently am shooting 55-75 Gold Tip Carbons that have a nice simulated wood grain. The front is stuffed with 125 grain steel adapters and 100 grain muzzy inserts for a total of 385 grains on point. My FOC is 13.5% (FOC is another topic I have planned to write about, a interesting topic to discuss). Out back I have a set of cap wraps which will most likely be the last set I use, not one of them went on straight and matched up, but they do the job as far as personalizing and making them visible when I miss. Over that I have four 90 degree four inch natural left wing turkey feathers in barred and died red. Correct arrow tuning is something that I pay pretty close attention to and to this end I shoot paper periodically and not the orientation of the arrow flight.

Lots of information, I know, and if you aren't fluent in archery there is a lot of good information out there, but I cant recommend highly enough TJ Conrad's book "Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook."

2 comments:

John VanDusen said...

Sounds like a good arrow set-up. I am shooting 2216's with 150 grain snuffers. 5 inch feathers with as much helical as my Jo-Jan will muster! My FOC is about 15%.
I enjoyed reading your blog.

John
www.johnvandusen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Bonjour

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!