Friday, March 13, 2009

New bushcraft knife


Krein knives just came out with a new knife called the XL bushcrafter.

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak:

When I designed the standard length Bushcraft I was trying to build a more compact knife. Something that you wouldn't leave behind because it was too big or heavy. I think I met my goal. With that said there was a good bit of interest in a Bushcraft with a slightly longer blade.
So I sat down and did a little redesign work. I made a few Bushcrafts with 1" longer blades. While I like how they turned out, it seemed that a slightly longer handle would compliment the longer blade. The new XL Bushcrafts have a 1" longer blade and a 1/2" longer handle. This makes for a much larger feeling knife.

The overall length is right at 9" with a 4 1/8" blade. Blade thickness is 3/16" and they are full flat grind

I have 2 with green canvas micarta with black liners and 2 with amber canvas micarta with black liners. They are all O-1 tool steel that I heat treated in the shop. They also all have the ultra-light option (skeletonized blade under the handles to decrease weight). They come with a multi position kydex sheath with a large Tek-Lok, or a nicely done oiled leather pouch sheath.

2 comments:

David Cronenwett said...

These knives look sturdy, but they lack what is a critical feature of (what I believe) is a good "bushcraft knife"; the "Scandinavian grind". There is a reason the Saami and traditional Swedes use that kind of bevel; it allows for tremendous control when shaving (feathering) wood, which is critical in fire lighting.

My only other comment on a "Ray Mears" kind of beefy -full-tang-through-the-handle knife is weight; they're often simply too heavy to operate for any length of time, and simply too hefty to wear in a neck sheath. Just my two cents. Thanks for the great blog! Best,
David C
Montana

backcountrybowhunter said...

I'd agree that for most "bushcraft" type work, a Scandi grind is best. Since most bushcraft work involves carving and cutting type camp chores, a Scandinavian ground knife is, simply, the best. However, a think a flat or convex grind does the job remarkably well. All in all, I am in your boat, I prefer a scandi grind on all my knives (including my hunting-skinning knives, which is not typically the case). Anyway, thanks for your comments!