Monday, August 15, 2011

Done with school!




For now at least. There is more education in my future, but a semester break is looking really nice right about now. DONE! And not a moment to soon. Elk season opens in 16 days, although I won't be up there for opening day, I am really, really looking forward to some elk hunting solitude! I am busy writing my lists for camp, truck, backpack and pockets, and it is all I can do to not pack up the truck right now. No new gear this year, with the exception of a couple giant coolers to keep all the fresh elk meat from spoiling, and the same area I head to every year, but I can feel the destiny of this year's hunt creeping up, the excitement and pure adrenaline of a rut crazed bull or a tender young cow 20 yards away. My confidence is high, my arrow groups tight, my list compiled, boxes packed...

I was going through some of my hunting pictures and whatnot on my computer and "found" these again. Always I good thing to review before a hunt!

Stay tuned for much more regular updates as I continue to assemble my gear, practice, hit the gym and the trails and otherwise prepare my mind, body, soul and gear for a successful elk hunt in 2011!


5 comments:

Devon said...

Good luck this elk season, I"m in Oregon but will be coming to idaho mid-sept for a 10 day solo backcountry hunt as well. Are you hunting around the Boise area? Hope you arrow a nice bull!
--Devon

T. Chris said...

Good luck! There is nothing like the anticipation of a big hunt like that. I won't be able to go elk hunting this fall, so I will be checking in reading your updates to live vicariously through your hunt. Good luck and congrats on making it through your current course work.

backcountrybowhunter said...

Devon,
Thanks for stopping by! Which area is your hunt? Best of luck to you!

T. Chris,
To bad you won't be able to enjoy elk hunting this year... I'll do my best to keep you entertained!

Devon said...

I will be hunting the McCall unit this year (my first Idaho Hunt), and can't wait. I'm also hunting Oregon, season opens this saturday, and I'll be out there the first 4 days of the season hoping for my first ever elk. Good luck, keep me posted!

backcountrybowhunter said...

Devon, Best of luck to you! I don't have much elk hunting experience in the McCall zone, but I LOVE the town of McCall! Can't wait for a report.